Man files lawsuit in Travis court over burns from e-cigarette battery


A man has filed a wide-ranging lawsuit in Travis County for severe skin burns he says he suffered from a defective battery used to power an electronic cigarette.

Matthew Bonestele was carrying an LG Chem battery in his right pants pocket when it suddenly exploded on April 21, 2016, the lawsuit says. He sustained third-degree burns to most of his leg as well as a hole in his upper thigh.

Bonestele is seeking more than $1 million, according to the lawsuit, which names LG, Inc. as one of three defendants along with Great Vapes, LLC., and Lightfire Group, LLC. The lawsuit says Bonestele bought the battery from Great Vapes, an e-cigarette retailer with a store in Midlothian, which had bought it from Lightfire Group, the distributor.

Bonestele’s attorney, Randy Sorrels, of Houston, filed the lawsuit in Travis County because he originally alleged Austin’s Vapro Supply was the distributor of the battery. But Sorrels said he now thinks Lightfire, not Vapro Supply, was the distributor. Vapro Supply was dropped from the lawsuit in February.

“The lawyers gave us assurance they didn’t sell it,” Sorrels said. “If for some reason their assurance is wrong, there’s a way to rectify that.”

Another defendant, ShenZhen battery, also was removed from the amended suit and replaced by LG.

Sorrels said Bonestele, a veteran who lives south of Fort Worth, was sitting at home when the battery erupted in his pocket. A skin graft procedure took skin from another part of Bonestele’s body to replace the lost skin on his leg, Sorrels said. Doctors say Bonestele will always have extreme sensitivity in the affected area, according to Sorrels.

The lawsuit alleges the battery was defectively designed and manufactured, and lacked warnings to alert users of potential dangers.

“Mr. Bonestele suffered an injury that he could never have imagined in civilian life,” Sorrels said in a statement. “The reality is that these batteries are small sticks of dynamite and the e-cigarette industry needs to make whole sale changes to insure the safety of all those who use these batteries. Further, the danger is not just limited to the user, but also to everyone that is near the user — including those in the same house who could be injured or killed by a resulting fire.”

Lightfire Group, of Weston, Fla., filed a response to the lawsuit, denying any wrongdoing and saying Bonestele “may have negligently handled, utilized, or transported the product at issue.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Pope Francis jokes with cloistered nuns in Peru
Pope Francis jokes with cloistered nuns in Peru

Pope Francis drew appreciative laughter Sunday when he addressed cloistered nuns in a Peruvian church, Reuters reported. The nuns were given special permission to leave their convents to see the pontiff speak in Lima. Francis spoke to the 500 nuns, known as “contemplatives” because they rarely venture away from their convents, on his...
Toddler at center of Texas Amber Alert found by police, is safe
Toddler at center of Texas Amber Alert found by police, is safe

UPDATE, 1/21/2018, 1:56 P.M.: Texas police said the 18-month-old boy at the center of an Amber Alert was found safe northeast of his San Antonio home, around noon Sunday, KENS reported. The boy's father and suspect was found "in grave condition" due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound, police told KENS. The toddler, Aaron Joseph Concepcion...
UPDATE: San Antonio murder suspect has been shot, toddler unharmed
UPDATE: San Antonio murder suspect has been shot, toddler unharmed

11:57 a.m. update: San Antonio police say homicide suspect Richard Concepcion is being treated for a self-inflicted gunshot wound and he is in grave condition. The 18-month-old child was found in backseat of truck unharmed in Guadalupe County. Earlier: A man suspected of murdering a woman and then taking their 18-month-old child is being pursued by...
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse

On day two of the U.S. government shutdown, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republicans would not adopt President Donald Trump’s call for a “nuclear option” to pass a budget with a simple majority, The New York Daily News reported Sunday. “The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,&rdquo...
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown

Led by Rep. John Delaney of Maryland, several members of Congress asked for their pay to be withheld during the government shutdown, CNN reported. “I don't think it's right for me to get paid during a government shutdown while my constituents are being furloughed and important and necessary services are being limited or halted all together...
More Stories