Malnourished baby dies after health-conscious parents fed him strict diet


A 7-month-old baby died after his parents fed him only gluten-free and lactose-free foods, including quinoa milk, the New York Post reported.

>> Read more trending news 

The child’s Belgian parents self-diagnosed him with an array of food allergies, but never sought a medical professional’s opinion before deciding on his diet, according to the newspaper.

“The parents determined their own diagnosis that their child was gluten intolerant and had a lactose allergy,” lawyers said in court during the trial for the child’s 2014 death, the Independent reported. “Not a single doctor had a dossier about Lucas and child protection services did not know about them.”

At the time of his death, baby Lucas weighed fewer than 10 pounds, which is only half the size of an average baby his age. An autopsy later found that his stomach was completely empty when he died, and his official cause of death was dehydration and malnutrition, according to the New York Post. 

 >> Related: Texas seventh-grader is facing the possibility of having to register as a sex offender for life

In court, the child’s parents said that they never took him to a doctor because they didn’t notice that anything was wrong with him. His mother said that sometimes Lucas would gain a little weight and then lose it, and that his parents thought such weight fluctuations were normal. They eventually took him to a homeopathic doctor, who insisted that they take him to a real hospital. By the time they did, it was too late. The hospital pronounced him dead on arrival.

In addition to quinoa milk, Lucas’ parents fed him oat milk, rice milk, buckwheat milk and semolina milk from the natural foods store they own, according to the Independent. While doctors warn that such a diet will not sustain an infant that age, the parents’ lawyer argued that wasn’t the case and that Lucas died for another reason.

“Lucas had an eating disorder. He got cramps when he was fed with a bottle, and his parents tried out alternatives,” the couple’s attorney, Karine Van Meirvenne, said, according to the Daily Mail.

The parents’ trial began this week. Each faces up to 18 months in prison for contributing to the infant’s death.

>> Related: Major cellphone carrier gets slammed with a lawsuit by a mother blaming them for her infant’s death


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

NASA facility named after ‘Hidden Figures’ heroine, human computer Katherine Johnson
NASA facility named after ‘Hidden Figures’ heroine, human computer Katherine Johnson

NASA has named a new research facility after pioneer Katherine Johnson, the trailblazing 99-year-old human computer whose incredible work as a NASA mathematician inspired the book and movie, “Hidden Figures.” The $23-million Katherine G. Johnson Computational Research Facility, or CRF, is located at NASA’s Langley Research Center...
Georgia man drove 1,000 miles to kill a Yale doctor he says fired him
Georgia man drove 1,000 miles to kill a Yale doctor he says fired him

After seven years of legal drama that led to Connecticut’s highest court twice, a Marietta, Georgia, man was sentenced to 32 years in prison Friday for murdering a Yale University doctor he claims had him unfairly fired years earlier. Lishan Wang, 51, opened fire on Dr. Vajindeer Toor and his pregnant wife outside their home in a New Haven suburb...
Mazda recalling more than 60,000 Mazda 6 sedans over wiring problem 
Mazda recalling more than 60,000 Mazda 6 sedans over wiring problem 

Mazda is recalling more than 60,000 Mazda 6 sedans over a faulty wiring problem that can cause a loss of power steering. The wiring problem could also cause an issue with the passenger side airbag. The recall affects 2015 and 2016 model Mazda 6’s in the United States and Canada. So far, there have been no reported accidents related to the recall...
Dale Earnhardt Jr. quotes JFK in response to NASCAR’s ‘take a knee’ stance
Dale Earnhardt Jr. quotes JFK in response to NASCAR’s ‘take a knee’ stance

Despite many of NASCAR’s team owners and executives saying they disprove of anthem protests, one of the sport’s most prominent and popular drivers is supporting the right to protest. Dale Earnhardt Jr. tweeted in support with athletes who, by kneeling, sitting or in another form, have protested during the national anthem before games...
Villanueva regrets being the lone Steelers player to stand for the national anthem
Villanueva regrets being the lone Steelers player to stand for the national anthem

Steelers offensive lineman Alejandro Villanueva apologized to his teammates and the franchise Monday for standing alone during the national anthem before Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears. He said he only told team leadership about his plan to leave the tunnel for the national anthem just before the game.  Earlier Monday, quarterback...
More Stories