Excessive force suit against Round Rock cops returns to court


Highlights

A judge reinstated on Tuesday a suit against the City of Round Rock and four of its officers.

Lionel Alexander says the officers pulled him out of his car, threw him to the ground and injured him in 2013.

An excessive force lawsuit against several Round Rock police officers is back in court after it was initially dismissed.

A judge ruled Tuesday to reinstate three parts of a 2015 lawsuit in which the plaintiff, Lionel Alexander, had sued the city of Round Rock and four named Round Rock police officers.

A district court had previously granted the City of Round Rock’s request to dismiss all of Alexander’s claims. The U.S. Court of Appeals ruled Tuesday to reverse that dismissal. The case will now return to district court to be decided.

Alexander is accusing the officers of using excessive force and violating his rights as laid out in the Texas Constitution when they arrested him in September 2013.

Alexander has said he had stopped in a hotel parking lot to try to feed a stray cat when he encountered Round Rock police officer Marciano Garza and three others, who were curious about his activities. Alexander alleges that officers pulled him out of his car, threw him to the ground and injured his mouth before being taken to Williamson County Jail.

Alexander was initially charged with resisting arrest but was never prosecuted, according to Williamson County court records.

“On the facts alleged, we conclude that the officers’ use of force was objectively unreasonable,” the appeals court wrote. “Nothing in Alexander’s statements or actions indicated that he posed any risk of harm to the officers. Nor did he pose any flight risk – indeed, he stayed in his vehicle and made no attempt to leave while Garza awaited backup. Perhaps Alexander’s refusal to exit his vehicle on Garza’s command warranted physical removal from the car, but it did not warrant throwing Alexander onto the ground, kneeing him in the back and pushing his face into the concrete.”

When the case returns to court, the court may ultimately conclude that Alexander’s constitutional rights were not violated, the appeals court wrote. But, based on the facts alleged, the case should not be automatically dismissed, the ruling said.

“We have only heard one side of the story,” the appeals court wrote. “After discovery is complete, the district court may well correctly determine that none of Alexander’s claims can survive summary judgment.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Lost cow and calf in Georgetown found and returned to owner
Lost cow and calf in Georgetown found and returned to owner

The Williamson County sheriff’s office has found a lost cow and calf in the Wolf Ranch area of Georgetown after authorities searched for the animals for about three weeks, Sheriff Robert Chody said in a Twitter video posted Tuesday morning. “We are happy to tell you that the mama and her baby calf are on their way back home to their rightful...
Austin Lyft driver accused of sexually assaulting passenger in 2015, police say
Austin Lyft driver accused of sexually assaulting passenger in 2015, police say

Austin police have accused a local ride-hailing driver of sexually assaulting a passenger in 2015, according to court documents. An arrest affidavit filed on Tuesday morning said Angel Interial, a 36-year-old Lyft driver, faces a charge of sexual assault. Interial was booked into the Williamson County Jail on Monday, according to online jail records...
DPS increases reward to $6,000 for tips in unsolved 1982 Travis County slaying
DPS increases reward to $6,000 for tips in unsolved 1982 Travis County slaying

Investigators with the Texas Department of Public Safety are offering up to $6,000 for information on a Travis County slaying that’s remained unsolved since 1982. Authorities in Travis County found 19-year-old Ruth Elizabeth Bettis dead in a pasture near Sprinkle Cutoff Road, east of Dessau Road, on Thanksgiving Day in 1982. According to the...
Body of missing 6-year-old boy found in dumpster
Body of missing 6-year-old boy found in dumpster

The body of a 6-year-old boy with autism, who was reported missing near Lynnwood, Washington, was found in a dumpster early Tuesday. The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office said Dayvid Pakko was a victim of a homicide. A 19-year-old man, who is a relative of the boy, has been taken into custody. Detectives were processing the crime scene Tuesday...
NTSB calls on FAA to require medical checks for hot air balloon pilots
NTSB calls on FAA to require medical checks for hot air balloon pilots

Update 10:09 a.m.: The National Transportation Safety Board on Tuesday recommended that the Federal Aviation Administration require medical checks for commercial hot air balloon pilots, setting the stage for a showdown between the agencies. The NTSB found that the FAA’s medical certificate exemption for balloon pilots contributed to the July...
More Stories