The University of Texas Student Government has created a list of action items to improve emergency communication in the wake of a knife attack that left one student dead and three others injured at the beginning of May.
The student government called on University officials to make the following changes to streamline the flow of information in the event of a future crisis.
UTPD Action Items:
- Change Text Message Alert Policy.
- Pursue Funds for New Dispatcher & Dispatch System.
University Communications Action Items:
- Include Student Voice in Crisis Communication Center.
- Improve Protocol for Addressing Rumors in Crisis.
- Inform Parents More Rapidly.
Provost’s Office Action Items:
- Create New Academic Protocol for Crises.
- Distribute Crisis Resource Sheet for Faculty.
The action items are all aimed at speeding up the process of notification to students, parents and faculty.
Read the full action plan here.