- Hannah Thornby American-Statesman Staff
To put it simply, our readers’ poll for Austin’s favorite places to grab a beer exploded. With over 10,000 votes in a little over a week, it was by far our most popular yet, with readers chiming in to vote on their most-loved brewpubs, taprooms and sports bars in the Austin area. Over a dozen places received more than a hundred votes each, but no place received more votes than our winner, Cover 3 sports bar. Find the full interactive map online at Austin360.com.
1. Cover 3: 2700 W Anderson Lane #202. 512-474-2613, cover-3.com. Cover 3’s other accolades include nominations for “Best Sports Bar” by CNN and Sports Illustrated and “#12 Best Burgers in Texas” by Texas Monthly.
2. Mean-Eyed Cat: 1621 W. 5th St. 512-920-664, themeaneyedcat.com. With nods to both Johnny Cash and the chainsaw repair shop it once was, the Mean-Eyed Cat is a classic Austin hangout.
3. Banger’s Sausage House and Beer Garden: 79 Rainey St. 512-386-1656, bangersaustin.com. With over 100 beers on tap and the city’s largest selection of sausages, Banger’s is good for both day and night drinking.
4. B.B. Rovers Cafe & Pub: 12636 Research Blvd. B101. 512-335-9504, bbrovers.com/wp/. For something off the beaten track, check out this neighborhood bar and its many (over 250!) different beers.
5. Zilker Brewing Company: 1701 E. 6th St. 512-765-4946, zilkerbeer.com. Though there are only three to four beers on tap a time and the taproom is only about 3 months old, Zilker Brewing Company is quickly becoming an East Sixth Street favorite.
6. The Draught House Pub & Brewery: 4112 Medical Parkway. 512-452-6258, draughthouse.com. All you need to know is that on Tuesdays, $3 will you get almost any beer on tap.
7. Pinthouse Pizza: 4729 Burnet Road. 512-436-9605, pinthousepizza.com. Growlers-to-go, flights and well, pizza, make this brewpub more fun than the rest.
8. Brass Tap: Multiple locations, brasstapbeerbar.com. The upscale craft beer bar franchise made its way to Round Rock in 2013, and for many, life has never been the same.
9. Porter Ale House & Gastropub: 3715 S. First St. 512-291-6299, porteraustin.com. Come for the truffle popcorn and pork belly sliders, but stay for the dozens of beers on tap and a second round of truffle popcorn
10. Austin Beer Garden Brewing Company: 1305 W. Oltorf St. 512-298-2242, theabgb.com. My favorite time to go is when any one of Sabrina Ellis’ bands is playing, but with big tables and lots of choices for brewed-on-site beer, any time is a good time.
The rest of the list:
11. Craft Pride: 61 Rainey St. 512-428-5571, craftprideaustin.com. Singing an ode to Texas brewers, Craft Pride has all the Texas beers you could ever want in a comfy bungalow on Rainey Street.
12. Third Base: Multiple locations, thirdbaseaustin.com. The Sixth Street location is long gone, but the sports bar chain started by three Austinites still serves up beer and bar snacks in Round Rock, Southpark Meadows and in Northwest Austin.
13. Hops and Grains: 507 Calles St. Suite 101. 512-914-2467, hopsandgrain.com. Board games and a free brewery tour are just two of the reasons to make your way over to Hops & Grain’s taproom in East Austin.
14. Hopfields: 3110 Guadalupe St. 512-537-0467, hopfieldsaustin.com. There is a wide selection of local and not-so-local craft brews behind all that home-style French food.
15. Easy Tiger: 709 E. Sixth St. 512-614-4972, easytigeraustin.com. Their second location — which promises to have a stage, a dog park, an expanded bakery and a coffee drive-thru — can’t come soon enough.
16. Little Woodrow’s: Multiple locations, littlewoodrows.com. It doesn’t matter which one of their four Austin area locations you’re at, they’ll always have cold beer and, on occasion, racing turtles.
17. Brew Exchange: 706 W. Sixth St. 512-366-5727, brewexchangeaustin.com. Try not to be daunted by the ticker — Brew Exchange bases its prices off supply and demand.
18. Uncle Billy’s Brewery & Smokehouse: 1530 Barton Springs Road. 512-476-0100, unclebillysaustin.com. Great barbecue, great people-watching and great beer.
19. Whip In: 1950 South Interstate 35. 512-442-5337, whipin.com. It’s a mom and pop shop like no other: part Tex-Indian cafe, part brewpub.
20. Crown & Anchor Pub: 2911 San Jacinto Blvd. 512-322-9168, crownandanchorpub.com. Lengthy happy hours, pub grub and a place for your pooch make this Hyde Park neighborhood bar one of Austin’s favorites.
21. The Ginger Man: 301 Lavaca St. 512-473-8801, thegingerman.com/austin. Enjoy a game of darts, or take a seat in the outside beer garden while enjoying a wide selection of beers from around the world.
22. Black Star Co-Op: 7020 Easy Wind Drive. 512-452-2337, blackstar.coop. This spot’s alternative business model is based on cooperation, education and community action. And, as a bonus, they serve great beers and food.
23. Black Sheep Lodge: 2108 S. Lamar Blvd. 512-707-2744, blacksheeplodge.com. $3 Texas pint nights and plenty of trash can beer specials make this place always busy.
24. C. Hunts Ice House: 9611 McNeil Road. 512-836-0558, chuntsicehouse.wordpress.com. This old-fashioned dive bar has outdoor seating and horseshoe pits.
25. Austin Beerworks Taproom: 3009 Industrial Terrace. 512-821-2494, austinbeerworks.com. A Thursday at the 4-year-old Austin brewer’s taproom is a Thursday well-spent: $10 will get you a glass (not a can!) and three fills.
Stay tuned for the next edition of our readers’ picks series, in which we are looking to find Austin’s favorite places for guacamole.