You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myStatesman.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myStatesman.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myStatesman.com.

High-end bus service adding Austin-Houston route


Next time you head to Houston, let someone else do the driving.

Vonlane, the high-end motorcoach service that got its start about 18 months ago, will begin service between Austin and downtown Houston on Jan. 17, founder Alex Danza said.

The addition of three new motorcoaches, giving the company six total, made the expansion possible. The specially built motorcoaches have just 16 seats, compared to 56 on most buses.

On-board features satellite TV, XM radio, electric outlets at each seat and WiFi, enabling passengers to stay connected during their trips.

Vonlane already offers service between Austin and Dallas.

Tickets are typically around $100. That’s more than Greyhound or Megabus charge, but less than the cost of airfare.

“Austin to Houston has been a highly requested route for many months, especially from the Austin folks,” Danza said.

Vonlane’s Austin service originates at the Hyatt Regency Austin hotel, 208 Barton Springs Road. In downtown Houston, it will operate from a spot near Dallas and Louisiana streets, near the Hyatt Regency Houston hotel.

When service gets up to full speed on Feb. 1, Danza said there will be four Austin-Houston departures on weekdays, one on Saturday and two on Sunday.

Next up, Vonlane hopes to add service between Houston and San Antonio, Danza said. That could be followed by the company’s first out-of-state route.

“We’re cautiously looking at a route from Dallas to Oklahoma City. That’s one possibility,” he said. “There are also some other very interesting cities we’re looking at — some triangles that are underserved by the airlines.”

Vonlane’s customers are approximately 60 percent business travelers, Danza said, with leisure travelers making up the other 40 percent.

“The curve is up and to the right every month. We’re seeing our plans come to fruition,” Danza said. “These are people who want ease of use and a stress-free experience. They like our easy boarding process and the fact that our attendant is taking care of just 16 passengers instead of a hundred, like you’d see on a plane.”



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Business

Have a great workplace? Let us know
Have a great workplace? Let us know

Help us spread the word about the best places to work in Austin. Nominations are now open for the American-Statesman’s 2017 Top Workplaces of Greater Austin project. The project recognizes employers that stand for the best in leadership, vision, an employee-centered culture and other qualities. Any employer is eligible — private company...
Up the Ladder

Biomedical Aeglea BioTherapeutics has named Anthony Quinn interim chief medical officer. Health care St. David’s HealthCare has named Diana Kraus assistant vice president of trauma. Professional honors Sandra D. Gonzalez of Greenberg Traurig has been elected to the Fellows of the Texas Bar Foundation.
Top Local Business Stories of the Week
Top Local Business Stories of the Week

WHOLE FOODS TAKEOVER? Report says Albertsons considering takeover bid for Whole Foods: Supermarket chain Albertsons is exploring a possible takeover of Austin-based Whole Foods Market, the Financial Times reported last week, citing unnamed sources. Albertsons, which operates about 2,200 stores, is controlled by buyout group Cerberus Capital Management...
House tax plan has surprising implications

Last June, Republicans in the House Ways and Means Committee rolled out their “Better Way” tax reform plan. It proposes big changes to business and personal taxation. Critics say it’s regressive and will likely decrease revenues because of the cut in personal rates. But a closer look suggests neither is true. Moreover, the business...
Business Digest: Germany-based group buys Austin office building

COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE Germany-based group buys Austin office building The Capital Ridge office building in Southwest Austin has a new owner. GLL Real Estate Partners, a real estate fund management group based in Munich, Germany, recently purchased the building from Capital Ridge-RE LP, according to Travis County deed records. The purchase price was...
More Stories