Austin alcohol sales jumped 10 percent in March, according to an American-Statesman analysis of state data.
Thanks in large part to South by Southwest, March is typically the most lucrative month of the year for many venues – especially those in downtown Austin. That was especially true this year, with tabs at the city’s bars, restaurants and hotels totaling $75.1 million. That’s up from $68.2 million in 2016.
Across Texas, receipts were up 8 percent, with bartenders pouring $589.3 million worth of beer, wine and mixed drinks.
The top-selling venue statewide was Houston’s NRG Park, which hosted the annual Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo – the largest livestock show in the world – last month. Alcohol sales there reached $3.8 million.
Austin’s No. 1-ranked business was the JW Marriott hotel, 110 E. Second St., coming in at $1.1 million.
Next on the list was Chupacabra Cantina, 400 E. Sixth St., at $655,738.96, followed by the Four Seasons Hotel Austin, 98 San Jacinto Blvd., at $562,270.90.
The rest of Austin’s top 10 list includes:
- Rain on 4th, 217 W. Fourth St., $549,671.94
- Blind Pig Pub, 317 E. Sixth St., $484,663.88
- Rose Room, 11500 Rock Rose Ave., $477,230.90
- Container Bar, 90 Rainey St., $468,865.97
- W Hotel Austin, 200 Lavaca St., $440,127.91
- Driskill Hotel, 604 Brazos St., $428,531.94
- Top Golf, 2700 Esperanza Crossing, $418,343.88
Top sellers* in other Central Texas communities were:
- Bastrop: Old Town Restaurant and Bar, 931 Main St., $76,056.87
- Bee Cave: Sonesta Bee Cave Austin Hotel, 12525 Bee Cave Pkwy., $94,501.94
- Buda: Buck’s Backyard, 1750 S. FM 1626, $117,358.96
- Cedar Park: Chuy’s, 4911 183A toll road, $179,120
- Dripping Springs: Trudy’s Four Star, 13059 Four Star Blvd., $63,130
- Georgetown: El Monumento, 205 W. Second St., $101,716.87
- Kyle: Casa Garcia’s Mexican Restaurant, 5401 FM 1626, $78,040
- Lago Vista: Copperhead Grill, 6115 Lohmans Ford Road, $23,038.96
- Lakeway: The Grove Wine Bar and Kitchen, 3001 S. RM 620, $113,297.91
- Leander: Brooklyn Heights Pizzeria, 3550 Lakeline Blvd., $56,600.90
- Liberty Hill: Jardin Corona, 15395 W. Texas 29, $44,653.88
- Pflugerville: Mavericks, 1700 Grand Avenue Pkwy., $112,450
- Round Rock: Chuy’s, 2320 N. Interstate 35, $163,097.91
- San Marcos: Zelicks Icehouse, 336 W. Hopkins St., $139,840.90
- Spicewood: Angel’s Icehouse, 21815 W. Texas 71, $63,061.94
- Sunset Valley: Doc’s Backyard, 5207 Brodie Lane, $93,262.99
- West Lake Hills: Lupe Tortilla, 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360), $102,288.96
*Addresses are listed as reported in records from the state comptroller’s office, but might not reflect the jurisdictions that receive tax revenue from each business’ sales of alcoholic beverages.