Alcohol sales at Austin bars, hotels and restaurants jumped 5 percent in July, according to new data from the state comptroller’s office.
An American-Statesman analysis found bartenders citywide poured $56.9 million worth of beer, wine and mixed drinks last month, up from $54.1 million a year ago.
Across Texas, sales were up, as well, totaling $515.9 million. That’s a 6 percent year-over-year increase.
The top-selling business statewide was the Gaylord Texan Resort and Conference Center in Grapevine, where bar tabs reached $1.6 million.
In Austin, the JW Marriott hotel, 110 E. Second St., topped the list, with patrons downing $727,558.96 worth of booze.
Oasis Cantina del Lago, 6550 Comanche Trail, was next, with receipts of $544,471.94, followed by Rose Room, 11500 Rock Rose Ave., coming in at $511,061.94.
The rest of Austin’s top 10 list includes:
- Chupacabra Cantina, 400 E. Sixth St., $504,580
- W Austin Hotel, 200 Lavaca St., $463,507.91
- The Dogwood Domain, 11420 Rock Rose Ave., $448,152.99
- Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar, 1120 S. Lamar Blvd., $439,450.90
- Top Golf, 2700 Esperanza Crossing, $429,315.97
- Barton Creek Country Club, 8212 Barton Club Drive, $404,760.90
- Kung Fu Saloon, 11501 Rock Rose Ave., $386,786.87
Four of the city’s 10 top-selling businesses in July were in North Austin, where a number of new bars and restaurants have opened in recent months. Three of the four – Rose Room, The Dogwood and Kung Fu Saloon – are in the new Rock Rose entertainment district that has been drawing many patrons who had been heading downtown.
Rock Rose is a part of Domain Northside, the mixed-use project’s third and final phase.
Top sellers* in other Central Texas communities were:
- Bastrop: Chili’s Grill and Bar, 7234 W. Texas 71, $53,363.88
- Bee Cave: Maudie’s Hill Country, 12506 Shops Pkwy., $80,580.90
- Buda: Chili’s Grill and Bar, 420 Old San Antonio Road, $46,321.94
- Cedar Park: Lupe Tortilla Mexican Restaurant, 4501 183-A toll road, $104,447.91
- Dripping Springs: Deep Eddy Distilling Co., 2250 E. U.S. 290, $81,246.87
- Georgetown: El Monumento, 205 W. Second St., $92,710.90
- Kyle: Casa Garcia’s, 5401 FM 1626, $75,910.90
- Lago Vista: Copperhead Grill, 6115 Lohmans Ford Road, $17,174.93
- Lakeway: Lakeway Resort and Spa, 101 Lakeway Drive, $149,570
- Leander: Brooklyn Heights Pizzeria, 3550 Lakeline Blvd., $51,121.94
- Liberty Hill: Jardin Corona, 15395 W. Texas 29, $39,028.96
- Pflugerville: Wagner’s Backyard, 15505 Interstate 35, $132,663.88
- Round Rock: Dell Diamond, 3400 E. Palm Valley Blvd., $187,182.99
- San Marcos: Zelicks Icehouse, 336 W. Hopkins St., $139,636.87
- Spicewood: Angel’s Icehouse, 21815 W. Texas 71, $57,336.87
- Sunset Valley: Doc’s Backyard, 5207 Brodie Lane, $68,400
- West Lake Hills: Lupe Tortilla, 701 S. Capital of Texas Highway (Loop 360), $89,240
*Addresses are listed as reported in records from the state comptroller’s office, but might not reflect the jurisdictions that receive tax revenue from each business’ sales of alcoholic beverages.